Thursday, April 16, 2009

Sugar-Free New York Cheese Cake

So this was my first time making cheese cake. I have to admit it was very time consuming. I made my own crust, Short Bread, shown here. You can use the gram cracker crust. Use a spring form pan. (I used fructose as a sugar substitute, use about half of what the recipe calls for. I make Short Bread quite often, I just made my usual amount and used some for the crust.)

Crust
Don't forget to grease your pan first.




Short Bread Crust:
1 lb of unsalted real butter
1 cup of sugar
1/2 tsp of salt
4 cups of flour.

Have butter at room temp. so it can be soft. Place butter in bowl and soften with your hands until cream, then mix in sugar, salt and flour. Mix into a dough and knead for about 15 mins on the counter. Now you can either take a cookie cutter to the dough or squish it down in a medium size cook pan/9x13 pan. You want the thickness about 1/2 inch. Cook @ 350 for 20-25 mins or until brown on top.


New York Cheese Cake


The recipe: from Joy of Baking.

Filling:
32 ounces(4 - 8 ounces packages) cream cheese, room temperature (use full fat, not reduced or fat free cream cheese)
1 cup granulated white sugar (3/4 cup Fructose)
3 tablespoons all purpose flour
5 large eggs, room temperature
1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
1 tablespoon lemon zest
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
In bowl of your electric mixer place the cream cheese, sugar, and flour. Beat on medium speed until smooth (about 2 minutes), scraping down the bowl as needed. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well (about 30 seconds) after each addition. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add the whipping cream, lemon zest,vanilla extract and beat until incorporated. Remove the crust from the refrigerator and pour in the filling.

(I used a hand mixer and it worked great. I creamed it all together on a very low speed.) When I poured in the filling I tapped the sides with my hand to get the bubbles out.

Now here is a very Important step!

I found this other recipe with some instructions on how to prep the oven. It works wonders.

Boil some water in a 4 qt pot. Set the oven at 475 F degree put the boiled water in a large roasting pan and put in oven. This will help create a nice humid place to cook your cake. I live in a very dry area and this was great formy cheese cake because it did not crack. When you put your cake in you will need to put more water in too.


"Bake for 10 minutes at 475°F. Reduce temperature to 200°F and continue to bake for one hour. Turn the light off too!


Turn oven off, but leave cake in for another hour.


DON'T TOUCH THAT OVEN DOOR! You've created a nice, humid environment that will help prevent cracks and produce a perfect, professional, NY style cheese cake assuming you didn't mess with it by changing the atmospheric conditions."




Add the topping after the cake is done.

Topping:
1 cup sour cream
2 tablespoons granulated white sugar (2 Tbsp of Fructose)
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Put in the oven for a little bit like 5 mins.

When the cake is done cover and put in the frige overnight and will be fantasitic to eat the next day! I greased the sides of the pan too and it was so easy to release the pan. You can freeze the cheese cake and enjoy for months. You can add fruit topping to it too.



Tada! Now it is ready to eat!

1 comment: