During the first part of April my parents had an opportunity of coming over to Derby England for a visit. This was my Mom first trip over to the old country and my Dad went over to Switzerland way back in 1969 echo echo echo......so it's his second trip. He went all over Europe but never made it to England. I think one of this friends got sick or something or was it his wallet got stolen. They ended up going back to Switzerland.
I don't know what they were more excited about. To see the kids, see England or the fact they got cheap ticket over to Ireland. My Mom has been wanting to go over to Ireland ever since she was a teenager!
I think they were more excited to see the grand kids. Well, I would be too, it had been about 7 months since they last saw them.
I wanted to take them all over the place. Especially to place we visited and just loved. But with limited time we did the best we could. So here are some of the places we went. When they arrived we celebrated my Mom's birthday, which was the day before. The kids had so much fun helping her blow the candles out. First Charly helped then we re-lit them so that Reed could have a go.
Day 1: The kids and I took them to see Derby's Silk Mill Museum. The Silk Mill is one of the first mills in England and it was built in the late 1700s they produced silk there of course, hint to the name. (We were able to walk to the Silk Mill from my house which is about a 20 min walk.) I love going to the Silk Mill. They have neat exhibits that feature the local area. (To know more about the Silk Mill go here.)
Day 2: We went to Warwick Castle. This castle is a privately owned and the owners have made it into theme park castle more like a mid-evil everyday castle. To show what life would be like. During the year they have all sorts of different events going on. We had such a great day there. Great place to take the kids a let them run around.
Day 3: Carenarfon Castle, Wales. This has to be one of my favorite castles in Wales. (Well i have only been to one so far in Wales.) It was a typical Welsh day next to the Irish sea, rainy. But still an enjoyable day. That is why we are always prepared for rainy weather.
Day 4: Stonehenge and the Pyle ancestral village. We did quite a bit the first few day because we had a bigger car for a week and wanted to take advantage of this. The Pyle family is from a village called Bishop's Cannings near Devizes England. Since it was in the direction of Stonehenge we stopped there first. We all got up super early and was at Stonehenge by 9:30am. I do recommend going there early to avoid the big crowds. Stonehenge was just plan AWESOME. Smaller than what I thought but very impressive.
After Stonehenge we ventured up to Bishop's Cannings. I love going on the single lane highways (A roads) over here, less busy and more sincerer. Plus the roads take you through villages and you can see some really neat buildings.
When we got to Bishop's Cannings I thought it would be bigger, it had one pub and maybe a corner store. It was still really small. Next to the pub was the 11th century church my Dad wanted to go to. Luckily there was a pub since we were hunger! I loved this pub. Just what a country pub should be with a big map of the area, lovely old prints of couples and sincere on the wall. Decorated with a country feeling. It was very nice.
After lunch we went to the church. They were having a fair so there were loads of people there. Since the kids have been in a car most of the day it was good to let them run about.
When looking at the gravestones we didn't realize that graves dating back to the 1500s were so weather and next to impossible to read. It was nice to be in a place that some of my ancestors had once been and knowing that some are buried there gave me a peaceful feeling. It was hard to maintain that peaceful feeling for long with the kids running all over the place. One thing that I wish I would have done was gone inside the Chapel. O well. My Dad found out there were no more Pyle's in the area but some other members of the family are still there.
Day 5: Rest day! Everyone need a good rest plus the next day: a Monday my parents were going to Ireland for three days! It was General Conference weekend so it was nice to listen to conference and the with the family. The kids have had a great time with Nana and Papa so far!
My parents had a lovely time in Dublin, Ireland. They saw the city with an Irish friend from Cody and went on two tour bus rides to see the country side.
Just to rap this thing up here is what we did for the remainder of their trip. Tim and I took my Dad to the National Motorcycle Museum, went to Masson Mills that has a great shopping area and eatery; we took a tour of the mill itself that is still working! I think it's a woolen mill. We went to Dove Dale where Dad finally got some ice-cream! He was saying the whole time he would like some ice-cream.
The last day I took my parents and the kids to Kedleston Hall. This was the second time I went to Kedleston, but when I went to it most of the furniture was put away and I didn't get to see the grounds or most of the house because it was in November for a very special event for Tim's work. Needless to say I was very excited to go! Even though I had to drag Reed through the house. It was so amazing to have my Parents come and visit us. That was perfect timing for them to visit because I was having a major case of homesickness. Thank you so much for coming and being able to show you guys the places I love in England!
Go here to see pictures.
Day 1: The kids and I took them to see Derby's Silk Mill Museum. The Silk Mill is one of the first mills in England and it was built in the late 1700s they produced silk there of course, hint to the name. (We were able to walk to the Silk Mill from my house which is about a 20 min walk.) I love going to the Silk Mill. They have neat exhibits that feature the local area. (To know more about the Silk Mill go here.)
Day 2: We went to Warwick Castle. This castle is a privately owned and the owners have made it into theme park castle more like a mid-evil everyday castle. To show what life would be like. During the year they have all sorts of different events going on. We had such a great day there. Great place to take the kids a let them run around.
Day 3: Carenarfon Castle, Wales. This has to be one of my favorite castles in Wales. (Well i have only been to one so far in Wales.) It was a typical Welsh day next to the Irish sea, rainy. But still an enjoyable day. That is why we are always prepared for rainy weather.
Day 4: Stonehenge and the Pyle ancestral village. We did quite a bit the first few day because we had a bigger car for a week and wanted to take advantage of this. The Pyle family is from a village called Bishop's Cannings near Devizes England. Since it was in the direction of Stonehenge we stopped there first. We all got up super early and was at Stonehenge by 9:30am. I do recommend going there early to avoid the big crowds. Stonehenge was just plan AWESOME. Smaller than what I thought but very impressive.
After Stonehenge we ventured up to Bishop's Cannings. I love going on the single lane highways (A roads) over here, less busy and more sincerer. Plus the roads take you through villages and you can see some really neat buildings.
When we got to Bishop's Cannings I thought it would be bigger, it had one pub and maybe a corner store. It was still really small. Next to the pub was the 11th century church my Dad wanted to go to. Luckily there was a pub since we were hunger! I loved this pub. Just what a country pub should be with a big map of the area, lovely old prints of couples and sincere on the wall. Decorated with a country feeling. It was very nice.
After lunch we went to the church. They were having a fair so there were loads of people there. Since the kids have been in a car most of the day it was good to let them run about.
When looking at the gravestones we didn't realize that graves dating back to the 1500s were so weather and next to impossible to read. It was nice to be in a place that some of my ancestors had once been and knowing that some are buried there gave me a peaceful feeling. It was hard to maintain that peaceful feeling for long with the kids running all over the place. One thing that I wish I would have done was gone inside the Chapel. O well. My Dad found out there were no more Pyle's in the area but some other members of the family are still there.
Day 5: Rest day! Everyone need a good rest plus the next day: a Monday my parents were going to Ireland for three days! It was General Conference weekend so it was nice to listen to conference and the with the family. The kids have had a great time with Nana and Papa so far!
My parents had a lovely time in Dublin, Ireland. They saw the city with an Irish friend from Cody and went on two tour bus rides to see the country side.
Just to rap this thing up here is what we did for the remainder of their trip. Tim and I took my Dad to the National Motorcycle Museum, went to Masson Mills that has a great shopping area and eatery; we took a tour of the mill itself that is still working! I think it's a woolen mill. We went to Dove Dale where Dad finally got some ice-cream! He was saying the whole time he would like some ice-cream.
The last day I took my parents and the kids to Kedleston Hall. This was the second time I went to Kedleston, but when I went to it most of the furniture was put away and I didn't get to see the grounds or most of the house because it was in November for a very special event for Tim's work. Needless to say I was very excited to go! Even though I had to drag Reed through the house. It was so amazing to have my Parents come and visit us. That was perfect timing for them to visit because I was having a major case of homesickness. Thank you so much for coming and being able to show you guys the places I love in England!
Go here to see pictures.
No comments:
Post a Comment