Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Books in Review

When I was younger reading wasn't on my priority list. Unless I had to do a book report for school. It wasn't until my junior year that I really got into reading. Thanks to a crazy teacher that should have been a college professor and a literature class. Granted it was Contemporary lit. there was a awesome film studies section in the class.  I starting thinking about what books I have read this year. So here goes.

Into the Wild--  By Jon Krakauer  ***

I read this back in high school and thought it was ok. I read it again and really liked it. The story just seems so real as if you are there with Chris.

Tarzan of the Apes -- By Edgar Rice Burroughs ****

Wow! I never knew the story of Tarzan. Edgar Rice Burroughs tells the story so descriptive and realistic that you wonder if he has spent time in Africa. It is so interesting how young Tarzan is able to teach himself how to read and to be self-educated. Not to mention the love story between him and Jane. Love it!

City of Ember -- By Jeanne DuPrau ****

Great children's book. So imaginative that a group of people are able to survive like that. Not like the movie.

The People of Sparks -- By Jeanne DuPrau **
This is the sequel to Ember. It was ok. Tell about what happen after the people of ember escape from the cave.

The Prophet of Yonwood -- By Jeanne DuPrau *
Like the sequel wasn't enough now we need to back in the time before ember to see what happen to the world.

Persuasion -- By Jane Austen ****
Yes I am a Austen fan. I just love the time period and England. This was a nice short piece of hers.

Star Dust -- By Neil Gaiman *****
What can I say! I just love Star Dust. LOVE LOVE LOVE it. A must read. totally different from the movie.

The Virginian -- By Owen Wister *****
If you love a book with western romance, cowboys, shoot outs, good vs evil, ect... You will love this book -- the original western book. ~ Sigh~

Marley & Me -- By John ?? ***
I like dogs but not this much to were I want a dog like Marley. You fall in love with a puppy who has many faults but is very lovable. Don't watch the movie the movie sucks.

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies -- By Jane Austen and Seth Grahame-Smith **
Um yea. Was interesting but so slow at the beginning and come on zombies?!!? I think I would have liked vampires better in this book. I did like what happened to some of the annoying characters. Read  it for yourself and tell me what you think.

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button and other Jazz Age stories -- By F. Scott Fitzgerald *****
A must read. Love F. Scott's imagination that he puts into his short stories. I really like this age in US history wish we could go back to it.

So what are your reading goals for next year or the rest of the year???

No comments:

Post a Comment